Chat box

2012/06/05

[Eng]Singapore Magazine U-Weekly Interview

Translation by Chin Shen @facebook:


Part 1
Prince Yul of “Goong”
Kim Jeong Hoon transforms into a mature man

Do you still remember the handsome guy who became popular after acting in the 2006 romantic drama "Goong"? After he left the army, the screen image of the boyish 'Prince Yul', Kim Jeong Hoon, started to change, revealing the maturity of a man in his 30’s.


A New Image After Discharge
UW: You made a breakthrough in your first drama, "I Need Romance", after you left the army. There were many intimate scenes. Did you feel a lot of pressure?

JH: The script is very important to an actor. When I received the script, I was engrossed in it and finished reading it very quickly. The characters, the actors and the director were all very good, so I decided to act in this drama. This drama received many good reviews and it was the first time I was portrayed as a different character, so it was very interesting to me.


UW: This character is very different from your previous roles. Did you choose this because you wanted to grow up?

JH: Before enlistment, I was unable to act in local (Korea) dramas because I was busy with activities in Japan and China. I was enlisted after acting in "Goong" and "Witch Yoo Hee". If I had acted in more dramas before enlistment, I would have taken on even more roles. After I left the army, I received projects with characters which were very different from my previous ones, thus I had a chance to explore a new image.


Learning How To Act In Intimate Scenes
UW: Were you pressurized when acting with the female lead?

JH: To be honest, at the beginning I was quite worried about how to portray this character, how the viewers would respond to my character and how they would perceive my acting. Jo Yeo Jeong and I worked very well together because we had kissing scenes from the beginning, which brought us closer. After that, we had a close relationship. During the shooting, she even taught me how to act. Haha!


UW: What do you think is your greatest achievement from "I Need Romance"?

JH: I found a new me. In addition, I am still in contact with the actors of this drama. This is also a great achievement for me.


UW: From your point of view, what is the biggest difference between "I Need Romance" and the previous dramas you have acted in ("Goong" and "Witch Yoo Hee")?

JH: People from overseas get to know Kim Jeong Hoon because of "Goong", and I became popular. At that time, although my acting was not very good, it was the first time I acted so it was very meaningful to me. While shooting "Witch Yoo Hee", my schedule was very tight. I was holding concerts in Japan, and I had to make time to fly back to Korea for the shooting. Therefore I was unable to concentrate on acting. This is something I still regret. "I Need Romance" allows me to appreciate what it is like to be an actor. After acting in this drama, I have more confidence in my acting.


Nearly Became A Doctor
UW: You played the role of a director in "I Need Romance" and a doctor in the new drama "Dummy Mommy". These were characters you have not tried before.

JH: When acting as a director in "I Need Romance", I imitated the tone and favorite expressions of the director of "I Need Romance". As for doctor, it is an occupation that has a special meaning to me.


UW: If you had not switched to theatre studies, you might have become a doctor. Do you have any special feeling when acting as a doctor in the new drama? After you left the army, have you ever thought of continuing your studies?

JH: During the shooting, I would think, “If I had continued to study, I might have become a doctor now.” But once I considered it, I would think that I have made the right choice to be an actor. If not, I would be staying in the cold operating theatre or office everyday. It is impossible for everyone to be satisfied with his career. My mother ever said to me, “It was the right choice when you decided not to become a doctor.” After acting as a doctor, I am certain that I am not suitable to be one.


UW: Since your debut, do you sometimes feel that your baby face has limited the range of characters you can play? Do you still have this problem now?

JH: Yes. In most of the scripts which I received, the characters are the young master of a large corporation, a doctor, a lawyer, basically a good character... I would like to try out characters who are feeble and a parasite, or a cold-blooded killer.

(To be continued)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...